Superman Stats

Monday 13 May 2013

Writers Block: Detective Noir



Writers Block

Detective Noir

Welcome to the place that I call the Writers Block (a double entente) where you-my blog readers-will get a chance to read the ideas that sprout from my innovative mind. Instead of giving a lengthy introduction I'll just jump right in to an idea I had for a series of graphic novels...

 

Detective Noir


It's the 25th Century and the year is 2447, Neo-India has just won the third Cyber War. The country is a mixture of futuristic metropolises and beaten down slums. 

Propaganda tries to convince the world and its inhabitants that Neo-India has become a hub of peace and prosperity, yet the dwelling conditions for the poor are naught and crime and corruption are in full swing. 

Detective Noir tells the tales of a middle class Detective and former Patrol Officer; Sameer Hansraj. He quit the force years ago after seeing his partner die in action for incurring the wrath of Gang overlords in Mumbai, and soon realizing how corrupt the system was.

Rather than fight, he chooses a life of recluse and eventually became a Private Detective for hire. This is a man that knows the true face of the country. Due to his initials, Hansraj among the slum districts and seedy underworld is known as the Indian Sherlock Holmes. 


The Idea

The style of writing and art will be in lieu of old detective and mystery films like the ones by Alfred Hitchcock. The tones of the art will be black and white, as such the comic is named Detective Noir.

Detective Noir is the first block in a series of blocks of ideas I plan to make to map out this world. The themes are hard to explain, but they relate to the world growing in a way such that the rich become richer and the poor become poorer.  

The main plot thread revolves around this detective who views both the dirt in the inside and the shine in the outside of this country. Other ideas include; a protagonist dealing with revolution against the rich, greedy and corrupt, a protagonist that is actually rich and corrupt so as he also portrays a three dimensional villain and maybe a prequel to see how this world came to be. 

Initially for Detective Noir, I was thinking of writing each of his cases as short stories to form a complete Novel (or is it Novella?). I then thought to rather use these stories as scripts for single issues bound together to from a graphic novel.

I also have character designs in mind, that I will post here once I have drawn them. I also have completed my first story (first case) which I will post soon enough. Till then enjoy!


'Nuff Said

Aneesh Raikundalia

No comments:

Post a Comment