Superman Stats

Monday 17 February 2014

Underdog Awards 2014, Coming Soon...




Underdog Awards 2014

 

 

 
So you might remember at one point, I talked about how just a few months into my blog I had gotten a chance to write for whatculture.com 

Of course that didn't fully materialize. My first article with them was rejected. Where as in between my second article, WhatCulture decided to make a change to their wordpress system and I didn't update on it. Hence losing my account.

So I'm here to talk about my second article.

That article was a lengthy feature called the Underdog Awards 2013, for the underrated films of 2012 that I felt didn't get the recognition they deserved whether it be Box Office or more importantly awards season. 

It's not that the films I listed were the best of the year. Some of them definitely not. But they went under-appreciated at least according to me, even though I'm sure a lot of people would have also seen them. Of course there were still movies that were under seen in the underrated category, that I myself might have missed. 

So why I am I dwindling in that area now. Well I wish to try and accomplish the same feat this year with multiple posts on Underdog movies from this year. 

This year I've got better perspective to judge whether most of these films actually deserve awards recognition and they do. The only issue is that unlike 2012, I couldn't spend enough time in 2013 to watch many English movies. 

As such I'm hoping for at least a month to be able to complete my awards list and then present it to you. 

This post is just to make you aware that the Underdog Awards are coming...

Below I will list how I judge which films get nominated, the categories and list the unpublished awards from 2013 for the movies of 2012




So the idea of the awards is simple. I take films that I feel didn't get the recognition at the big awards like Screen Actor's Guild Awards, Golden Globes, BAFTA and of course The Academy Awards. I also take into account films that went under appreciated through the year, even if they didn't deserve to be recognized by the big awards of Hollywood. 

Once all the underrated films are taken into account. I watch them and rank the respective categories into the best. 

So even if let's say Film A was more under appreciated than Film B, if Film B was better than it gets the nod above Film A.

Beyond that there's no other major ruling. 

I try to avoid films that got some recognition at these awards ceremonies, but some pieces of those films may still go underrated and I have gotten some nominations from the likes of Prisoners (Oscar nominated in Cinematography) and American Hustle etc.

So here are the categories, do not I will be doing each section of awards on different posts so the links can be also found here;


Feature Awards

Best Film

Best Director


Performance Awards

Best Actor (Male) in a Leading Role                                     Best Actor (Female) in a Leading Role                   
Best Actor (Male) in a Supporting Role                                Best Actor (Female) in a Supporting Role

Best Breakthrough Performer                                                Best Ensemble Cast


Technical Awards

Best Cinematography                                                            Best Editing 

Best Original Screenplay                                                       Best Adapted Screenplay

Best Score                                                                              Best Soundtrack



Let's take a look at what would have been last years awards...

Underdog Breakthrough Performer


 Winner: Dane DeHaan for Lawless and Chronicle


Underdog Ensemble

 
Lawless


Underdog Actor (Female) in a Supporting Role


Juno Temple for Killer Joe


Underdog Actor (Male) in a Supporting Role


Michael Fassbender for Prometheus


Underdog Performer of The Year


Matthew McCounaughey for Magic Mike, Bernie and Killer Joe


Underdog Actor (Female) in a Lead Role


Mary Elizabeth Winstead for Smashed


Underdog Actor (Male) in a Lead Role


Jack Black for Bernie


Underdog Director 


Rian Johnson-Looper


Underdog Film


Looper


'Nuff Said

Aneesh Raikundalia

No comments:

Post a Comment